Thursday, February 20, 2014

Broken Charger and the Cost of Saving Money

I noticed the charger for my Mac laptop was going out. It worked as long as I positioned it just right. Instead of spending $80 for a replacement from Apple I decided to order a new one inexpensively online because I thought I had time. When the charger went out completely, the one ordered at a fraction of the store price was still on its way from China.

Being a bit electronically inclined I decided to take apart the magsafe connector on the charger and tried reconnect the wires. Was I wrong? This thing is so tightly put together I knew I wouldn't be able to fix it but I was challenged to try anyway. I ended up with a useless bunch of tape on the end of a wire.

So it has now been 3 days of my laptop sitting in the corner with all my software and files stored away, unpowered. Luckily I have another laptop to use for internet purposes. I say this because I have projects to work on but a very limited capability to do them on this laptop. I downloaded the older free versions of the software I use but it has limited capabilities compared with what I am used to. On top of that, I am not using Mac. The shortcuts and general controls are awkward in comparison to which I am accustomed to on the Mac.

From this ordeal I have learned that saving a few dollars may be more costly in time and aggravation.

The charger looks like it is due to arrive tomorrow. Then I can resume the creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment